Our Mission Support At Home And World Wide
Charleston Baptist Temple is a mission-minded, serving community in Christ.
We have long been a congregation strong on mission support and bold to form new missions in the Charleston community. Through the American Baptist Churches USA and the West Virginia Baptist Convention, we extend our mission internationally, nationally, statewide, and within our own neighborhood.
Charleston Baptist Temple is among the top mission-giving churches within the West Virginia Baptist Convention and American Baptist Churches USA
. The Four major mission offerings given are:
- Retired Ministers & Missionaries Offering is received in January to support retired ministers, missionaries, and their widowed spouses by providing emergency assistance in times of need and a thank you check at the end of each year.
- America for Christ Offering is received in the spring to support American Baptist mission and ministry across the United States and Puerto Rico.
- One Great Hour of Sharing is received in the summer to empower, provide water, supply food, and give relief from disasters.
- World Mission Offering is received in November to support international ministries that God is using to transform the world.
In recent years, we have helped start neighborhood-based ministries, such as:
- Covenant House, which offers services for the homeless, those with HIV/AIDS and a drop-in emergency assistance center
- Manna Meals, where two free meals are served daily to the hungry and homeless
- The Religious Coalition for Community Renewal, which serves those in need of affordable housing
- The East End Family Resource Center, which brings together all segments of the community to provide support, resources, and programs for residents of the East End to make the East End a family-friendly neighborhood.
- We continue to provide financial and food donations and volunteer time.
Charleston Baptist Temple initiated and houses PRO-Kids, an after-school tutoring and enrichment ministry to elementary-age children from a nearby school. Our members volunteer to serve with these and many other local programs as an expression of their Christian commitment.
Charleston Baptist Temple sells Lanna Coffee, which is grown in Thailand. The sale of Lanna Coffee helps provide a better future for farmers in Northern Thailand. The proceeds from our sale go exclusively to missions in Thailand.
Crossroad’s Men Shelter
We provide a meal monthly at the Union Mission Crossroads Homeless Shelter. Volunteers serve the meal and enjoy fellowship with the residents.