Who We Are
Serving as the Hands and Feet of Christ
Charleston Baptist Temple is mission-minded, serving community in Christ.
We have long been a congregation strong on mission support and bold to form new missions in the Charleston community. Through the American Baptist Churches USA and the West Virginia Baptist Convention, we extend our mission internationally, nationally, statewide, and within our own neighborhood.
The Baptist Temple Building
The Baptist Temple, founded in 1869, built its present house of worship in 1924 with the dedication in 1925. The Baptist Temple building is significant for many reasons which merited its inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. One of the most significant features is that it is the only structure in West Virginia designed by the nationally recognized master architect Ernest Flagg of New York City. The structure’s symmetry and architectural detailing
In the worship bulletin for September 24, 1926, it was noted: “Mr. Flagg,
Among Flagg’s other notable designs are the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington, D. C., and the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD.
10 Facts You Should Know About American Baptists
The following facts are representative of the tradition and practice of American Baptists.
- American Baptists believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior, and that the Bible is the divinely inspired word of God that serves as the final written authority for living out the Christian faith.
- For American Baptists the local church is the fundamental unit of mission in denominational life.
- American Baptists partake of two ordinances: believers’ baptism and The Lord’s Supper.
- American Baptists believe that the committed individual Christian can and should approach God directly, and that individual gifts of ministry should be shared.
- American Baptists take seriously the call to evangelism and missionary work.
- American Baptists support religious freedom and respect the expressions of faith of others.
- American Baptists acknowledge that God’s family extends beyond our local churches, and that God calls us to cooperative ministries.
- American Baptists have been called to be Christ’s witnesses for justice and wholeness within a broken society.
- American Baptist Churches USA celebrates the racial, cultural and theological diversity witnessed within its membership.
- American Baptists heed the biblical call to renewal and the need for a vital witness in a new millennium.